
I was asked to write a letter for OGpsych to get an award, I am going to write it here bc an e-mail and word doc didn't seem to work.
I have been a patient in the mental health system in three different states since early childhood. Currently I have a diagnosis of Agitated Major Depressive Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder which I am taking three psychiatric medications for. I never really liked the care I was getting, I felt forced into things and I felt like I had little to no say in my treatment. In my early twenties I started to feel like it wasn't worth it, stopped taking my medication one day and continued going further and further on a downward path of self medication with drugs and alcohol. In my mid twenties I moved to Oregon and felt somewhat hopeless, still not getting the help I knew I needed.
I came to OI because I was working a minimum wage job, couldn't pay my rent or bills and I was feeling more and more hopeless to the point of walking across bridges dipping one leg off thinking that I couldn't handle life anymore. I first started with talk therapy and was urged to see a psychiatrist, but I knew that meant most likely going on meds and because of my past dealings with doctors who didn't care about my input, I was pretty animate about not having an appointment with a psychiatrist. I was never forced, I felt like it was my decision although heavily coaxed when I finally did see Dr. X.
My therapist came with me to my first appointment and right off the bat Dr. X was honest, told me I didn't have to do or take anything I didn't want to, listened and treated me with respect, this was the first time I felt like a human in a psychiatrist's office. She not only helped me get started on medication but also helps me to stay on in. Without Dr. X's expertise in psychiatry, I fear I would be on the streets or worse. She cares for myself and other marginalized individuals with compassion, humor, honesty and respect and truly exceeds the psychiatric care I have ever received.


0 comments:
Post a Comment