Sunday, March 8, 2009

persuasion

i talked to my bro yesterday to tell him what was going on but he had a rehearsal so we couldn't talk. he called me back and we just talked for an hour.

i don't want to take a leave of absence. i feel that my advisor doesn't want me there so therefore he bullied me into the decision. he never said what i would be doing - he did give options, there were lots of pauses and silences and then i finally said "i think at this point i'll take a leave of absence". i don't really feel like he's been there 100% for me. when i couldn't go to the first field experience bc it's not accessible by bus he in a snap placed me in another school which didn't work out. i was a rich, 98% white school that i obviously did not fit in at, with 4th graders, an age group higher than listed on my application and resume and goes for Elementary certification (4-8) not Early Childhood Ed. (PreK-3) like I want.

i don't know if it's too late now, though. I requested a meeting with the Director of student services so she can help me do things without messing my stuff up, I think I will tell her that I don't want to leave. I read her email to me after the meeting with my advisor and it said "let me know if i can help you or if you need any further accommodations" - i see her as someone that wants me to succeed despite my downfalls.

last term i attended less classes, didn't communicate with my profs or peers and when it was the last week of class, i was e-mailing all my work in at the last minute just to get grades. and i got grades in all my classes with a GPA of 3.0. I told my advisor that it was a bad precedent, but the precedent was set based on what occurred in the first term and at that point i hadn't even fully set up disability stuff and it was after the fact in almost all cases.

now this term i actually have accommodations to help me with absences and extra time for work and doing oral work in written form and i'm being told that i haven't attended enough classes to get a grade. gee, no one has attendance listed on the syllabus. and participation is only listed as 10points in our classes. and i've handed or e-mailed everything on time with A grades. The lesson plan that we had to turn into "taskstream", the on-line assessment tool, is listed at the level of a "Basic Teacher" - not "Discovering", not "Emerging", and also not "Proficient" yet. I know being there is important, but seriously, education classes are so repetitive, boring and easy to me. i don't know if they "dumb-down" education classes bc some of my undergrad Communication classes weren't easy, I was challenged and had to work. Or if it's bc I've taken ECE classes with a professional certificate and a minor in Education with my undergrad. i have not once felt challenged in class or with my work; I bet I would feel challenged presenting a lesson i wrote to a class of 28 2nd graders. big sigh.

My passion is working with children. Many people notice how natural I am around children. My brother just said that when he sees me around k, our niece, he thinks i am really "myself", he sees me interact with children in a fun and guiding manner really getting into the thinking and absurdities of their growing minds.

2 comments:

icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

Wow...

Please let me know what happens and how this works out.

Maybe you should go into the school and speak with each one of your professors and figure out the FE thing tomorrow!!!

Act fast. And let me know.

I'll be thinking of you.

nikkol said...

(a little laugh - no wonder before they peel through all the smelly, teary layers of the onion that is me, doctors might think i have bipolar...)

yeah, i don't know what i want. i know i wanted to stay in school. i know that a leave of absence or leaving school was not even a thought until i had this meeting. i am pretty sure there is no reversing this 'decision'. the student services director is back in the office tomorrow and we'll have our meeting and see.

thanks mama